Oct 16, 2020 • Filed to: Photo/Video/Audio Solutions • Proven solutions
With the presence of several video file formats, it can be a little bit confusing to choose the file format to use. MOV and MP4 are among the file formats that you can use. These two lossless video formats can be used interchangeably in the Apple environment.
Are using Mac and facing some issues related to your mov, m4v, or mp4 video files? For sure, the video file you are dealing with is corrupted. You need a video repair mac action in progress as soon as possible. In this article, you would be given plenty of information regarding the reasons for video file corruption, QuickTime as a video repair option on mac, using VLC media player for repairing the corrupted media files, and last but not least the tips to avoid video corruption on mac.
- Part 1. Reasons behind the Inaccessibility or Corruption of Videos
- Part 2. Why We Need Wondershare Video Repair Software for Mac?
- Part 3. Can QuickTime Player Repair Corrupt MOV (MP4) Videos?
- Part 4. How to Repair Video Files on Mac with VLC Media Player?
- Part 5. How to Avoid Video Corruption on Mac?
Remo Digital Video Repair Tool is the most recommended way to fix corrupted or damaged video file across all platforms of Windows and Mac. The tool is designed to work on read only mode keeping the safety of the corrupted video file as a priority. The software repairs any sized and any video file format file easily using these steps: First download and run the software application. Click on the + sign or or use Drag/Drop feature to add your corrupt video files for repair. Click on Repair Files option to start the repair process. Mac Tools Too l Trucks – Own Your Own Automotive Tool Franchise and Be Your Own Boss™ In addition to manufacturing a wide variety of outstanding automotive tools, Mac Tools provides one of the best franchise opportunities available to qualified candidates with a passion for the automotive industry. Our franchisees get to enjoy the freedom of life on the road while selling top-quality.
Best Performing Post of July 2020:-1. Stellar Video Repair is an advanced utility to fix any type of corrupted or damaged video files for Windows and Mac users. Free trial available 2. Repair your corrupt or damage database files such as.ACCDB and.MDB files with the help of Stellar Phoenix Access Database Repair.Also Repairs tables, Queries, Reports, Forms, & Indexes.
Part 1: Reasons behind the Inaccessibility or Corruption of Videos
MOV is a container format developed by Apple to be used on QuickTime player. It stores videos, audios, texts, 3D, virtual reality, graphics, and animations. MOV files usually store video files in high quality and size although they are slightly larger than MP4 files. On the other hand, MP4 is also a container format developed by the International standard. It is an upgraded version of the MOV file format that works with different media players and also supports mobile devices and USB drives. The MP4 container comprises Graphics, video, subtitles, and audio data. The output file size and quality of MP4 are much better compared to MOV. The beauty of these video formats is that they can be converted from one format to another format.
Whichever file format you choose to store your videos they still face a threat of being corrupt when you mishandle them. MOV, MP4, and other video files get corrupted due to different reasons.
- To begin with, they get corrupt when they are not converted properly to other file formats.
- Or when you are editing or transferring videos, and there is a sudden system failure.
- Videos are prone to damage when a virus infects your computer or the storage devices.
- Also, when there is a power outage, and your computer shuts off immediately leads to the corruption of files.
- System crash has also proven to be another major reason for videos getting corruption.
- Moreover, incomplete download of videos damages the videos on your computer.
- Lastly, bad sectors on your drive also lead to videos getting damaged.
Part 2: Why We Need Wondershare Video Repair Software for Mac?
Wondershare Video Repair for Mac is designed that can scan and repair corrupt MOV, MP4, M4V, M4A, and F4V video files on Mac. The Mac video repair tool repairs corrupt videos, damaged due to compression issues, changes made in the file formats, read/write errors, virus attack, and other reasons. It can deal with all types of M4V and MOV file issues and reproduce the file with its original clarity.
This Video Repair for Mac could auto-fix incorrect data, repair damaged video file, solve video abnormal playback with audio-video out of sync, delay in audio, distorted images while playing videos, the video freezes audio continues to play, or playback only audio no videos, correct interlaced image to de-interlaced one, etc. Repair corrupt, damaged or unplayable MOV, M4V, MP4, or M4A video file with help of Wondershare Video Repair for Mac.
You can use the below-mentioned steps to repair corrupt or damaged video files in MP4, MOV, M4V, M4A, and F4V formats using this Video Repair for Mac software.
Add Damaged Video
Step 1 Download the Mac video repair tool on your Macbook and launch it. To repair corrupted videos, add your damaged MOV, M4V or MP4 video files from computer folder(s), or you can drag them here easily.
Repair Damaged Video
Step 2 Select multiple corrupted or damaged videos and click the Repair button to start the repairing process.
Preview Repaired Video
Step 3 Wondershare Video Repair tool can finish the repairing process within a few minutes. After it, you are allowed to preview different formats of videos to confirm the repair results.
Add Sample Video
Step 4 Don't get the desired result? Move on to the 'Advance Video Repair' mode, which entails a sample video and analyze its data for video file repair. The same video should have the same format and device source as your damaged videos.
Preview and Save Repaired Video
Step 5 Finally, choose the repaired MOV, M4V, or MP4 video files and save them to a safe destination.
After the saving process is complete, a confirmation message showing a link to the location of saved Video files is displayed. You can click the View Saved Files button to visit the location.
Simply download and have a try the best Video Repair for Mac software. You can start analyzing the results and previewing the repaired movie file on Mac right now!
A: This camera data recovery guide can be of great help to you!
Part 3: Can QuickTime Player Repair Corrupt MOV (MP4) Videos?
Quick time is one of the features compatible with Mac, wondering if it can help to repair the corrupt video files, then surely it’s a No! Unlike other media players i.e. VLC or Windows media player, quick time is unable to repair the corrupt video files. All it can help with playing, editing, exporting, saving features but cannot repair the damaged file.
When you try to play a damaged or corrupted video file in quick time media player, all you can see is a black screen. This black screen is indicating that the video file is corrupted and the quick time cannot play the video file.
Part 4: How to Repair Video Files on Mac with VLC Media Player?
The VLC media player is an all-time solution for fixing the video files that are either damaged or corrupted due to any error. It performs this repair mechanism by two techniques that are mentioned as follows:
1. Repair video on Mac by converting it
2. Repair video files by changing the file extension
Using these two methods, one can fix repair the corrupted video files. Let’s discuss each method in detail.
1. Repair video on Mac by converting it
Initiate your video repair mac action by converting the format or codec of the corrupted video file to fix it. Here is a stepwise procedure to complete the action.
Step 1 Start with downloading and then installing the VLC media player on the mac device.
Step 2 Once downloaded, launch the media player and from the menu ribbon, select the option of Media.
Step 3 In Media drop-down menu, further select Covert and Save.
Step 4 In the dialogue prompt, now select the damaged/corrupted video file and again click Convert and Save.
Step 5 In the next window, provide the new name for the video file.
Step 6 Now from the profile list, select Input codec, and click on Edit Selected Profile. file.
Step 7 When all the settings are changed and saved, the repair process will continue and provides you with a repaired video file ready to play.
2. Repair video files by changing the file extension
Another potential method to fix a corrupted video file on a mac by using VLC is by changing the file extension. It helps to fix the damaged, corrupted, or inaccessible video (mov, m4v, or mp4) files. It transcodes the file to another file with customized settings. Here is the stepwise process to fix the corrupted video file.
Step 1 Start with downloading and then installing the VLC media player on your device.
Step 2 Now make a copy of the corrupted or damaged video file on your device.
Step 3 Change the file extension e.g. from .mov to .avi. Avoid any error message that appears.
Step 4 Now launch the VLC player and in menu ribbon Select Tools.
Step 5 In the Tools drop-down menu, click the option of Preferences.
Step 6 In the preferences menu, next you have to select Input and Codecs, make the changes accordingly, and then save it.
Step 7 Lastly select the option pf Always fix for continuing the video repair mac action. The repaired video file would be ready to play in mere seconds.
Part 5: How to Avoid Video Corruption on Mac?
Now you know about the solutions to fix the corrupted/damaged video files in mac. What if you follow some protocols that would help to avoid video corruption on mac? Making sense! Isn’t it! So, here are some of the tips to avoid video corruption on mac.
- Make sure that your mac device is in a stable power supply mode. Do make a copy of the file as a backup.
- Check the battery of your device, it should be full while transferring the data.
- Use a power anti-virus to debug your device as this can lead to file corruption.
- Run a regular scan on your mac device to protect it and the data from malware attack.
- Fix all the logical issues with storage devices to avoid those bad sectors.
Hence, fixing the corrupted/damaged video file (MOV, m4v, or mp4) on your mac device is easy now. All you have to do is to check for the reason causing file corruption in your case and running the video repair mac mechanism with both of the processes facilitated by the VLC media player. See which one works for you.
Solve Media File Problems
- Recover & Repair Photos
- Recover & Repair Videos
- Recover & Repair Audio
- Recover & Repair Cameras
Do-It-Yourself Video Repair Tool (VRT) – MP4视频文件修复工具 – MP4 Repair
|“We googled 2 days to find a solution to repair some broken .MP4 movie files – we couldn’t find one, so we|
started to build our own.”
Our repair utility can repair and fix broken or damaged video files (MOV, MP4, 3GP, M4V) that do not play in your media player. Please check in our practical use cases if your video file issue is a mission for VRT .
What exactly means REPAIR? Repair means that only video and audio portions can be repaired that are not lost: On some of your corrupt files, it MAY NOT repair anything at all, on some files it MAY repair some video portions, and on some other files it MAY repair both video and audio portions (It fully depends on the grade of corruption).
- Repairs video files that are truncated, broken, corrupt or damaged
- Repairs video files that do not play in QuickTime or Windows Media player
- Repairs movies that were not finalized by the camera
- The repair does not depend on a valid/correct container format – the raw video and audio stream data is fully automatically reconstructed
- Supports non-broken reference movies for finding missing movie meta-data and parameters
Currently, our software can automatically repair damaged .mov, .mp4, m4v, or .3gp movie files (generally, all movie files based on QuickTime container format) that use one of the following codec formats:
Video Repair Mac
- avc1 (H264/AVC, used by most digital cameras, HD video cameras, iPhone, etc.)
- hevc (H265, used by modern digital cameras, video cameras etc.)
- mp4v (H264/ISO, used by a few cameras)
- MPG2 / xdvc / xd5d / xd5e (MPEG-2 / XDCAM, used by Sony cameras)
- jpg (Motion JPEG,used by Panasonic cameras)
- icod (Apple Intermediate Codec, used by Final Cut)
- dvc / dvpp / dvhp (DVCPRO / DVCPRO HD, used by Panasonic cameras)
- apch / apcn / apcs / apco / ap4h (ProRes 4444/422/LT/HQ/Proxy, used by Final Cut)
Movies of the following cameras have been tested for correctness with our software (however we cannot test all camera models, and it generally works on most digital cameras):
|Blackmagic URSA Mini 4.6K||For PCM audio, choose ‘Enable PCM detection’|
|Canon 60D, 5D, 7D, T1i, EOS 550D, Powershot SX20, S95||For PCM audio, choose ‘Enable PCM detection’|
|Canon 574HD||For PCM audio, choose ‘Enable PCM detection’|
|Contour HD Helmet|
|DJI Mavic Pro, DJI Phantom Pro, DJI Vision Plus 2||If video is stutters, choose ‘AVC1 single mode’ and ‘No CTTS repair’ under options.|
|Drift HD720||Experimental: Choose custom repair parameters ‘-single’ under options.|
|Flip Ultra HD|
|HTC EVO 4G|
|GoPro, POV.HD, Contour+2, ActionPro X7||If repaired video is hanging, try activating ‘No CTTS repair’ under options. If audio is missing, choose ‘Enable AAC detection’. If you recovered a GoPro/ActionPro video from an SD card media, your repaired video may freeze every few seconds. The reason is this camera stores additional files and your recovery software cannot filter out the additional files, and puts the data into the video files. Solution: use our data recovery tool (MaxDataGenius) to first extract the correct MOV files from your media.|
|iPhone, Nokia N82, Nexus One, all Android phones||If repaired video quality is bad, choose ‘No CTTS repair’ under options. If audio is missing, choose ‘Enable AAC detection’ under options.|
|Liquid Image HD320, Toshiba Camileo S30, B10, P100,|
AR Drone Quadcopter
|Experimental: Choose custom repair parameters ‘AVC1 single mode’ under options|
|Kodak ZX1, ZX3, ZI8, Z7590|
|Nikon Coolpix P300||Experimental: Choose custom repair parameters ‘AVC1 single mode’ under options|
|Olympus Tough TG-810||Choose custom repair parameters ‘AVC1 single mode’ and ‘No CTTS repair’ under options.|
|Panasonic HVX200, HXDC1, DC-GH5||If you have a corrupted .MDT file, use it for repair and rename it to .MP4 before running the repair. Choose ‘No CTTS repair’ under options if repaired video is hanging. If audio is bad, choose ‘Enable PCM detection’ under options. If video does not play at all, try option ‘Overwrite existing codec information by reference file’ . If importing of repaired videos does not work, reparied video must be converted after repair – reenconding/converting (using ffmpeg) for import is included in the program under options: If you choose ‘MP4 (same quality)’ it will use ffmpeg to convert the videos for import. Note: do NOT use Panasonic’s SD card file recovery (AVCCAM), the recovered MOV files are unrepairable. Solution: use our data recovery tool (MaxDataGenius) to first extract the correct MOV files from your media.|
|Samsung HMX200, HMXS10, MX20, SMX-F400BP/EDC and many other Samsung cameras||Experimental: Choose custom repair parameters ‘AVC1 single mode’ under options|
|SIV M7||Experimental: Choose custom repair parameters ‘AVC1 single mode’ under options|
|Sony XDCAM, EX1, F900,|
Other MPEG2 cameras
|If audio is white noise, under options, choose custom repair parameter ‘-af twos’ for PCM big endian, or ‘-af sowt’ for PCM little endian.|
If video is shaky, under options, choose:
1. Enable ‘reencode movie files’
2. Choose ‘Custom (ffmpeg) as ‘preset for reencoding’
3. Enter ‘mp4: -f mov -acodec copy -vcodec mpeg2video -sameq’ into ‘custom reencoder params’
|Sony DSC-HX1||Choose ‘Enable AVC1 single mode’, choose ‘Reencode repaired movie files (MP4 high quality)’, choose ‘Overwrite existing codec information by reference file’|
|Sony A6500, AX100, A7SII, A7RII, A7II||Choose ‘No CTTS repair’ under options. For PCM audio choose ‘Enable PCM detection’|
|XSplit Broadcaster||Experimental: Choose custom repair parameters ‘AVC1 single mode’ under options.|
|Yuneec Typhoon CG03||Disable ‘detect new movie clips’, enable ‘AVC1 single mode’, enable ‘No CTTS repair’|
|Zoom Q3HD||no audio|
|Your own camera and model…||Add your camera model with a simple click here…|
Additionally, if our software doesn’t support your camera yet, we can add support for new video and audio encodings (our 10 years of experience in data recovery software helps us to develop something new).
Mac: OS X 10.6 or higher (requires Intel-based Mac, PowerPC not supported!)
PC: Windows Vista / 7 / 8 / 10 or higher
Supported camera formats: See above
DEMO version restriction: The repaired files are only half the size of the repaired movie files in full-mode! (e.g. if the DEMO version repairs 50 MB, the full version will repair 100 MB)
NOTE: For a successfull repair, always study the camera specific options listed in above table!
This software is licensed, not sold or owned. Grau GmbH grants you a non-exclusive, non-transferable license to use this software. You may not redistribute the software (neither on any website or any server or somewhere else). You may not use this software to establish an online service with it. You may use Single-user licenses only for a single user. You accept that the software anonymously collects technical data (codec name, frame resolution, etc.) of your camera model. We assure that no video data or anything related to your video contents is shared with us. You accept the license by downloading this software. EXCEPT AS EXPRESSLY SET FORTH IN THIS AGREEMENT, THE PROGRAM IS PROVIDED ON AN “AS IS” BASIS, WITHOUT WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, ANY WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS OF TITLE, NON-INFRINGEMENT, MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
- Download the video repair tool archive (.zip), and extract the downloaded archive:
a) PC: right-click the downloaded .zip file in Windows Explorer, and choose ‘Extract all…’.
b) Mac: double-click the downloaded .zip file in the Mac Finder.
Then go into the extracted folder.
- Run the video repair tool:
Double-click the file ‘gs.exe’. On some systems, it just shows ‘gs‘. That’s the executable to run. NOTE: If you get a message (‘missing script file’), the .zip file hasn’t been extracted properly (check step 1). Important note for Windows 10 or higher: You may have to allow run (right-click on executable->Properties->allow)
Double-click the file ‘gs.app‘. On some systems, it just shows ‘gs‘. That’s the executable to run. For Mac OS X 10.8 or higher: Right-click the app, and choose ‘Open’.
If you get a message (‘missing script file’), the .zip file hasn’t been extracted properly (check step 1). Important note for OS X 10.8 or higher: Right-click on ‘mac_start’ and choose ‘Open With…->Terminal’. Also check our FAQs if this error does not go away.
- Click on ‘Choose movie…’ and choose your broken movie.
- Important: Click on ‘Choose reference movie’ and choose a non-broken (playable) movie of the same type (same camera settings). This is a required step if the broken movie is damaged (in most cases).
- Click on ‘Scan’ to start the repair.
- Wait until the repair has finished (the spinning wait cursor disappears). If the repair was successful, the found video clips can be found in the listbox. Click on one movie clip and choose ‘Preview’ to play back the repaired movie clip.
NOTE: If the repaired movie appears very choppy, try to load another reference movie of the same camera.
NOTE: Support for some cameras is experimental (see camera table at the top of this page how to enable experimental support for them!).
- Options: If repair quality was not good enough, try to use different settings under ‘Options’:
- Try ‘Overwrite existing codec information by reference file’ if your broken movie may contain invalid codec information, and the reference file codec information should be used instead.
- Try ‘Enable AVC1 single mode‘ if repaired video is completely missing.
- Try ‘No CTTS repair‘ if repaired if repaired video is there but choppy.
- Try ‘Enable AAC detection‘ (for AAC audio) or ‘Enable PCM audio‘ (for PCM audio) if repaired audio is missing.
For more detailed options, see user manual and FAQ below!
Video Repair Tools For Macbook
- Always try before you buy! Please download and try the repair to make sure that the software meets your needs before buying a license.
Please also read the FAQ *before* purchasing! It contains useful information why in some cases, the full version may *not* repair more video data than the demo version.
- You are accepting our terms and conditions / Sie akzeptieren unsere AGBs
- As with all online software sales, there are NO REFUNDS! / Kein Widerrufsrecht beim Kauf
- For non-EURO: The price is converted into your currency at the current rate during the purchase process.
- You’ll get an invoice (.PDF file with VAT/MwSt details) directly after purchasing (NOTE: Always check your E-Mail SPAM folder!)
- VAT for EU companies: We always add VAT to our invoices! (you CANNOT have a VAT-deducted invoice from us, you accept this with your purchase)
- Important! Before purchasing, start the downloaded software and look for the request number (4-digit number: XXXX) and write it down. You’ll need that number directly after the purchase!
After purchasing, you are automatically redirected to get the activation code to unlock the software. A few minutes later, you’ll automatically get a link for the activation code via email too. If for some reason this doesn’t work, send us an e-mail (including your request number that you can find in the software).
NOTE: Google email (gmail) often needs 2-3 days for transmission – do not use gmail if you need a quick answer!
|I have read all above, and by clicking this button below I accept that I cannot get money back for any reason.|
|Single-user license for 5 video repairs and bound to the installation computer: 29 EUR (+VAT/MwSt for Germany and EU countries)||Single-user license for unlimited video repairsand bound to the installation computer:: 99 EUR (+VAT/MwSt for Germany and EU countries)|
Step 1: Add your camera model with a simple click here (we will update our software for your camera model as soon as possible)
Step 2: Verify that your camera model is supported by ‘reparing’ a non-broken sample file
Mac Tool Replacement
If your camera model isn’t listed above, or the repair tool doesn’t seem to work with your movie, please first try the ‘repair’ using a non-broken (playable) sample movie of your camera to find out if the program fully supports your camera:
- Download the video repair tool DEMO version (.zip), and extract the downloaded archive by double-clicking it in the OS X Finder (Mac) or Windows Explorer (PC).
- Run the video repair tool by double-clicking the application ‘gs.app’ (Mac) or ‘gs.exe’ (PC).
- Click on ‘Choose movie…’ and choose a non-broken sample (playable) movie of your camera. Using a non-broken sample movie you can verify if the program fully supports your type of camera.
- Click on ‘Scan’ and wait until the scan finished (spinning cursor disappears).
- Click on ‘Preview’ to check if the movie could be ‘repaired’. If your sample file doesn’t repair, please send us a link to your non-broken sample movie (e.g. using some freely available online file sharing service such as www.wetransfer.com or ask us for our FTP), so we can add support for your camera to the repair tool.
This approach ensures that there are not two issues at the same time (program does not support your model, and damaged files does not contain any data). If it properly supports your camera model, but doesn’t work on the damaged file, the damaged file is too broken for a repair.
After you sent us your sample movie, we’ll try adding support for your camera (this may take some weeks). All customer files are kept confidential.
Best Video Repair Tool
Step 3: Your sample file repairs, but your broken movie doesn’t repair
If your sample movie correctly repairs (step 1), but your corrupt file doesn’t repair, we may check your corrupt file. Send us your corrupt movie (and one working sample movie of your camera) using an online file sharing service such as www.wetransfer.com (up to 2 GB files), www.wesendit.com (up to 5 GB files) or www.filemail.com (up to 30 GB files). After you sent us your truncated broken movie, we’ll examine it (this will take a few weeks). All customer files are kept confidential. Please only send small sample files (max. 100 MB), as we do not have a fast Internet connection here.